Old 14-03-2015, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to make a good seed-sowing tilth?

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
What's the best way to make a good tilth (for sowing parsnip seeds) on
fairly heavy soil?
--
Chris

Add a lot of sand. I can't grow parnips in my garden (which is heavy soil,
they hate it) but "down on my land in the village" which is sandy, they do
well as do carrots.

Problem on sandy soil is ants, undermining the planting. I want a sign
"green woodpeckers welcome here"
Maybe they do come while I'm not there - but they aren't doing a good job if
they do..