Old 15-03-2015, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Juniper berries

In article u,
Michael Uplawski wrote:

Yet another of my wifes' awesome uncles has begun providing us with
knowledge, pratical help and objects. Having learned that we had begun
producing our own “sauerkraut” (don't tell me that you have no other
word for that), he brought a big bag of juniper berries (« bees de
genièvre », „Wacholderbeeren“).

In the meantime, I have looked-up some information on those berries but
do still not understand how to treat them now. They are still attached
to their little juniper twigs and are almost all green.

My question is, how do I handle the berries to be able to use them in
the kitchen?
-) Have they been picked too early anyway, as you have to wait for
september or october, normally
-) Will they become blue/black while staying attached to the twigs
-) Do I have to pick them off the twigs and let them dry in a dark and
well-aired place?

They almost certainly won't ripen once picked. I have no idea
what green ones are like, but a quick Web search indicates that
they can be used for flavouring, just like ripe ones, but are less
interesting. You have nothing to lose by trying them!

Don't give too much to any woman between 6 and 60 (seriously), as
they contain small quantities of an abortifacient.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.