Old 16-03-2015, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
wawwiz wawwiz is offline

Default Plum and apple trees

Thanks for the info I will check out Texas A&M see what they have to say.

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 10:34:56 AM UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:
On 3/14/2015 9:31 AM, wawwiz wrote:
While checking out the backyard for the area for this years garden I noticed my plum tree in full bloom, flowers almost everywhere, I planted the tree last year same with one apple. Now the question. Is it too late to prune off the non-flowering limbs?
The apple tree hasn't made a flower yet but has numerous things I believe will be leaves not flowers.
This is the first time I have tried to grow any fruit tree so this is all new to me.
Thanks ahead of time

It depends on where you live. Mostly you prune fruit trees when they are
dormant, ie. no leaves or blossoms. You might go on line to your
state/country/wherever you live agriculture college or state website. I
live in Texas and Texas A&M U has a very good website. Alternatively you
can find books online that have all the details on pruning.

Our pear tree is blooming but I pruned in January so they will be okay.
With young trees you can use limb spreaders to train limbs into a
position that is suitable for fruiting.