Old 14-03-2015, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Plum and apple trees

While checking out the backyard for the area for this years garden I noticed my plum tree in full bloom, flowers almost everywhere, I planted the tree last year same with one apple. Now the question. Is it too late to prune off the non-flowering limbs?
The apple tree hasn't made a flower yet but has numerous things I believe will be leaves not flowers.
This is the first time I have tried to grow any fruit tree so this is all new to me.
Thanks ahead of time
Old 14-03-2015, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/14/2015 9:31 AM, wawwiz wrote:
While checking out the backyard for the area for this years garden I noticed my plum tree in full bloom, flowers almost everywhere, I planted the tree last year same with one apple. Now the question. Is it too late to prune off the non-flowering limbs?
The apple tree hasn't made a flower yet but has numerous things I believe will be leaves not flowers.
This is the first time I have tried to grow any fruit tree so this is all new to me.
Thanks ahead of time

It depends on where you live. Mostly you prune fruit trees when they are
dormant, ie. no leaves or blossoms. You might go on line to your
state/country/wherever you live agriculture college or state website. I
live in Texas and Texas A&M U has a very good website. Alternatively you
can find books online that have all the details on pruning.

Our pear tree is blooming but I pruned in January so they will be okay.
With young trees you can use limb spreaders to train limbs into a
position that is suitable for fruiting.

Old 16-03-2015, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wawwiz wrote:
Thanks for the info I will check out Texas A&M see
what they have to say.

the local library may have some references...

songbird
Old 16-03-2015, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/16/2015 8:42 AM, songbird wrote:
wawwiz wrote:
Thanks for the info I will check out Texas A&M see
what they have to say.

the local library may have some references...

songbird

Much easier to just go online. I bought a book called "Pruning Made
Easy" some years ago and it is very handy, especially for old brains
that often forget stuff. "Stuff"= anything that could be handy but is
easy to forget. G

I think we have every manual pruning tool in existence now, I have one
limb lopper that is at least fifty years old but sharpens up easily.
Going to prune the kumquat tree a bit today to keep that rounded shape.
Just picked and ate the last three kumquats yesterday.

Fig tree is leafing out nicely and is still slowly growing. Blueberry
bushes are leafing out also and we put down a lot of pine needles as
mulch this past weekend. Should help to keep the soil around the
blueberries acidic.

Carrot seed went in yesterday, finally. Today is sunny and warming up,
it's 67F here now and going up to low seventies later. Tomorrow the !@#$
rain starts again, possibility of rain over the next several days in the
50 to 60% range, which, around here, means it's going to RAIN.

I fell again last night and wasn't even drunk. This old partially
paralyzed right side is getting weaker. You have to be strong to get
old. And getting old beats the alternative.

George

Old 16-03-2015, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I fell again last night and wasn't even drunk. This old partially
paralyzed right side is getting weaker. You have to be strong to get
old. And getting old beats the alternative.

George

Yep, any morning you wake up without dirt in your face is a good morning.
Old 16-03-2015, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
George wrote:

I fell again last night and wasn't even drunk. This old partially
paralyzed right side is getting weaker. You have to be strong to get
old. And getting old beats the alternative.

Yep, any morning you wake up without dirt in your face is a good morning.

heck, even us younger folks can still fall.
my spring escapade last year almost did me in
for the whole summer last year for getting
heavy work done. my hand feels a little sore
and stiff yet, but worked fine today when i
moved a stack of pallets and boxes of tile
around.

funny though, i did get dirt in my face...

songbird