Old 02-04-2015, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] giborah2015@gmail.com is offline

Default Strawberries!

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 9:36:40 AM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
songbird wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

First of the season showed up two weeks ago!

Last June, I put in a whole bunch of plants, but got zip fruit, though that's supposed to be their season in this latitude (34 N.) Gritted my teeth,
took good care of them; hoped for next June.

if you planted them in June that is too late
for them to flower and put on fruit for the same
month,

Yeah, I was too lazybusy to get plants in sooner...my bad...but I'm sill disappointed that good-sized plants, properly transplanted from nursery pots,
should have just settled in comfortably but produced zip fruit.

they may have already flowered and had the flowers
and fruits removed by the time you bought them. for
one crop varieties (often called june bearing plants
in N.A.) once that phase is past you won't see a new
round of flowers until the next season.

Whaddya know, mid-March, they're taking off!

i've had first flowers anywhere from March 11
to the end of June. are your plants flowering
now or showing signs of waking up from dormancy?

Plants are beginning to flower; a few already bearing fruit.

ah, good to hear. seeing any bees/flies on
them?

I don't understand about "dormancy". AFAIK, this happens in colder climates. T/F? Mine is "Mediterranean" --So. Calif coastal, with mild temps; no frost*.
So would dormancy actually be a factor?

i know for the varieties i have here that it is
temperature and moisture that determine when they'll
start to bloom and not day length. after that it is
the variety and moisture which determines if the
plant blooms again or not up until the temperatures
get too cold again.

songbird

Songie, the plants I put in last year were not (all? didn't keep good track) June-bearing. I usually try to put in varieties that will bear longer.

Right now, I need to stop dithering (my specialty!) and put in more fraises du bois. I kept 5-6 plants going since last year, but want to add to them.
Taste SO exquisite -- but you need to look carefully; those shy little beauties try to hide g

HB