Old 08-04-2015, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Strawberries!

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 3:51:40 AM UTC-7, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:15:20 AM UTC-7, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet wrote:
[snipped]
Right now, I need to stop dithering (my specialty!) and put in more
fraises du bois. I kept 5-6 plants going since last year, but want
to add to them. Taste SO exquisite -- but you need to look
carefully; those shy little beauties try to hide g

I used to pick those in the woods in England as a child - beautiful
tasting things, always seemed nicer than the big meaty things you'd
grow yourself or buy in the shops.
--
Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief
has a cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Yeah!

I just spent time on-line looking for a local-ish vendor in So.Cal
coastal.
Anybody have a clue? Would rather not order bare-root w/shipping
charges if I can find live plants.

David Ross in same general area -- any suggestions?

I used to pick mine around Chedworth in the Cotswolds. There was a disused
railway there and they grew along the side. However the best and most
abundant were on and around the Roman villa there, back in the days when
anyone could walk into the site and fossick.

As a curious child I occasionally found very large snails with white shells
in the area and even, rarely, in the garden. However I couldn't find then in
any of the available textbooks. A few years ago (and nearly a half-century
later) I saw an article on the BBC site about this 'new' discovery in the
area; An isolated population of large snails thought to be descended from
snails that the Romans bought with them and 'farmed'. Hah! Where was the BBC
when I was asking about them way back when? ;-)
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Love this stuff, Misfit! Keep it coming!

HB

"I never will, by any word or act, bow to the shrine of intolerance,
or admit a right of inquiry into the religious opinions of others."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1803