Old 23-04-2015, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple and pear trees - requirements for pollenattion

"AL_n" wrote in message
I've often read that one needs to plant more than one apple tree in one's
garden to maximise fertilisation. I presume the same thing apply to pear
trees, yes?

If so, should each of the two pear trees be of differing stains or the
same
strain?

Can pollen from an apple tree pollenate a pear tree and vice versa?

(I already have two apple trees and would like to plant a single par tree,
ideally. I don't know of any other pear trees in the immediate vicinity.

Thanks...
Al

Apples can not pollinate pears, but if you chose a self fertile variety you
can get a crop with just one tree, you will nearly always get a better crop
with a cross pollinator but pears are prolific croppers so usually you have
more than enough anyway!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs