Old 27-04-2015, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Rain again

In article
westom writes:

Surges must be earthed (shunted) before entering the building. A surge
shunted at the appliance simply shunts that surge into the appliance.

Your UK wiring must be even more odd than I could have expected.
Surges are diverted to the separate grounding path in the house
wiring.

A completely different device, also called a surge protector, does
protection from surges because it is at the service entrance.

Surge protectors can be anywhere that has a ground connection. For
any NEC compliant wiring in the US, that is just about anywhere.

A typical UPS provides temporary and 'dirty' power during blackouts.

You like to repeat that alot. It does not make it true.

Maybe UK UPSs deliver dirty power. I suppose it is a fitting
substitute for leaking oil.

--
Drew Lawson | I'd like to find your inner child