Old 04-05-2015, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID

On 04/05/15 14:10, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2015 12:43:45 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 03 May 2015 09:37:35 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

This is an evergreen shrub or perhaps sub-shrub about 120 cm high in
flower now. The flowers are about 25 - 30 mm long, maybe 40 mm if you
include the stamens and style.

I thought that it might be a correa, but those have 4 petals and 8
stamens. This flower has 5 petals and 5 stamens.

http://tinypic.com/r/25qulxl/8

One of the Billardiera's, possibly B. longiflora (aka Purple
Appleberry)? Five petals, and I think somewhere I read eight stamens,
but I can't now find the link to that for confirmation. Australian
plants but they're generally described as climbers or scramblers. Not
hardy in the UK AIUI, but OK in a cool greenhouse, I gather.

Correction: Billardiera's have five stamens. This isn't yours, but it
gives petal and stamen numbers http://tinyurl.com/oaq9bbj

Thanks for the ID attempt. I had a look earlier, and the flowers have
changed a little - the petals are now quite reflexed, and the stamens
and style have elongated. The whole flower is now about 55 - 60 mm long.
The stamens are about 20 - 25 mm long. As far as I can tell, the flowers
have no scent. The plant doesn't look as though it should be hardy, but
it suffered no damage at all over winter (several frosts to -4 or 5℃).

--

Jeff