Old 13-05-2015, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_3_] Pam Moore[_3_] is offline

Default At war

On Tue, 12 May 2015 13:50:21 +0200, Charlie2
wrote:

It will be a reluctant decrelation of war using slug pellets.

How good is the copper tape to ward off slugs and snailsMy beans and
peas were devestated by them last year they had a good feast at my
expense eating 24 bean plants and 28 pea plants.
I'm reluctant to use slug pellets even the so called wild life safe
ones. Beer is a no no. My thoughts this year is a bed of bramble/rose
thorns with each bean and pea plant in 4" sq x 5" high off cuts of drain
pipe sticking the copper tape to the out side in a double band to stop
the big ones arching over the strip.
I've tried eggshells, grit and the b....rs still eat them. Slug pellets
are the very last resort as I think all living things ,no matter they
are pests, should have a right to life unless its preparing to eat me. I
wish hedgehogs were around here I'd make a couple of hides for them to
winter and they would cure my problem, But been here in Worthing West
Sussex and have only seen one in 11 yrs.Used to have a toad he/she's
gone too.
Thanks Bob

Years ago I took part in an anti-slug trial for the Organic Gardening
magazine and was given a roll of copper tape. I had to put 2 strips,
one above the other, round pots. The day I found a slug on the side of
a pot between the two strips I gave up on that idea.
I've since discovered that the strips need to be close enough so that
the slug touches both strips as it crawls up and thus gets the
electric shock. I have not tried this however!