Old 25-05-2015, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Mattie Beane green beans

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

Just got home from the seedswap (was snowed out in Feb) and these
were among the seeds I got . It's really too bad the swap didn't go
off in February when it was originally scheduled , some of the stuff
won't get planted until next year because it's too late now .

But some will ...

is it getting too hot down there already?

i've not heard of them before. we're always planting
at least one patch of green and waxed beans as i love
eating them fresh right there in the garden and we
steam them or make some bean salads for canning...

the rain last night teased us with a few sprinkles
here or there, better than nothing, but we still need
a good rain.

songbird

I'm not sure if it's too late to plant , but I do know the blue lake beans
I planted (twice now) either aren't germinating or they're being dug up by
"critters" . And about that rain thing , if I could I'd for sure send some
your way . We're getting very heavy rain , comes in waves . If you look at
the radar , the lines of thunderstorms that are building and coming from the
west have caused major problems all over Arkansas . We live in north central
, and it rained so hard for a short time yesterday afternoon it overwhelmed
my drainage measures and I had water running across the floor of my machine
shop . Today I have a lot of flash rust on mt machine tools , and I ain't
happy about that .
Some area are experiencing major flooding , I haven't been out today but
expect our (dirt/gravel) road has a couple of places washed out . Only thing
that keeps it passable is that bedrock is only a couple of inches below the
surface .
--
Snag