Old 26-05-2015, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Mattie Beane green beans

Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm not sure if it's too late to plant , but I do know the blue lake beans
I planted (twice now) either aren't germinating or they're being dug up by
"critters" .

in heavy clay soil they may have trouble getting
out of the soil after sprouting. plant two in each
hole and snip one after they get going. or mix a bit
of shredded cardboard or well rotted wood chips into
the soil used to cover the seeds so it isn't so
compacted by watering.

And about that rain thing , if I could I'd for sure send some
your way . We're getting very heavy rain , comes in waves . If you look at
the radar , the lines of thunderstorms that are building and coming from the
west have caused major problems all over Arkansas . We live in north central
, and it rained so hard for a short time yesterday afternoon it overwhelmed
my drainage measures and I had water running across the floor of my machine
shop . Today I have a lot of flash rust on mt machine tools , and I ain't
happy about that .

we had a short downpour yesterday and i was hoping for
more later but they missed us again. still at least we
finally had a bit more than a sprinkle. more rain forecast
and that's good if we get it. will be starting to get
plants and seeds out this week.

Some area are experiencing major flooding , I haven't been out today but
expect our (dirt/gravel) road has a couple of places washed out . Only thing
that keeps it passable is that bedrock is only a couple of inches below the
surface .

we'd have flooding over roads here too if we had as
much rain as you guys have gotten down there recently.

i hope it won't be too much work or disruption to
improve your drainage.

songbird