Old 18-06-2015, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default getting there

George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:

i hope you can get out to pick, but i think for the
short term things are going to be soggy down there!

You said it, overnight we got another three inches of rain and just got
hit by a large thunderstorm that dropped another inch on us. Bill is
still hanging around and some areas are getting hammered. We're about to
venture out to the library, our church, and maybe a wee bit of shopping,
seems to be clearing out here in the boonies (if you can call an area
with a hundred thousand people in it the boonies). At least we don't
have any highrises yet.

for many people i think a highrise is a much better
use of the land than the loss of wild spaces overrun
with sprawl.

yesterday i had to change my gardening plans as i
went to work on one garden that was overrun with
good weeds -- with all the recent rains it's too
wet to dig down very deep. the soil is excellent
compared to how it used to be but it will still
stick to the shovel when it gets soggy. i switched
over to the garden that had only a light layer of
weeds on it that i could just scrape and then get
it planted. that leaves me the other garden to do
when i can get back out there and then i'll be on
to more easy tasks (spot weeding, filling in edges
of gardens or scattering seeds around to get some
more ground cover going in the empty spots, etc.)

had a large deer wander through the yard a few
nights ago. didn't see it, but it left some rather
huge prints behind. doesn't look like it ate
anything.

songbird