Old 27-06-2015, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Pohon Grass

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Compo in Caithness wrote:

Does anyone in the group know the Latin or western common name for "Pohon
Grass", a native of Sri Lanka. Alas, I have mislaid my photo of this
grass but it is about chest high and clump forming, with very long flower
bearing stalks.

GIYF. Xanthorrhoea australis, aka (and definitely not PC) 'Black Boy'
see http://tinyurl.com/qxow6sa and image here to confirm it's what
you're talking about
https://kiyanti2008.files.wordpress....pg?w=765&h=515

Actually a native of Australia. Our local nursery used to sell them.

Google Translate gives Pohon as Indonesian for 'tree'.

I understand the Australians now call them Grass Trees (when they feel the
need to be PC)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.