Old 27-06-2015, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pohon Grass

Does anyone in the group know the Latin or western common name for "Pohon Grass", a native of Sri Lanka. Alas, I have mislaid my photo of this grass but it is about chest high and clump forming, with very long flower bearing stalks.
Old 27-06-2015, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 02:46:12 -0700 (PDT), Compo in Caithness
wrote:

Does anyone in the group know the Latin or western common name for "Pohon Grass", a native of Sri Lanka. Alas, I have mislaid my photo of this grass but it is about chest high and clump forming, with very long flower bearing stalks.

"Pohon" is Indonesian for Tree.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 27-06-2015, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Compo in Caithness wrote:

Does anyone in the group know the Latin or western common name for "Pohon
Grass", a native of Sri Lanka. Alas, I have mislaid my photo of this
grass but it is about chest high and clump forming, with very long flower
bearing stalks.

GIYF. Xanthorrhoea australis, aka (and definitely not PC) 'Black Boy'
see http://tinyurl.com/qxow6sa and image here to confirm it's what
you're talking about
https://kiyanti2008.files.wordpress....pg?w=765&h=515

Actually a native of Australia. Our local nursery used to sell them.

Google Translate gives Pohon as Indonesian for 'tree'.

I understand the Australians now call them Grass Trees (when they feel the
need to be PC)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-06-2015, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 27 June 2015 10:46:13 UTC+1, Compo in Caithness wrote:
Does anyone in the group know the Latin or western common name for "Pohon Grass", a native of Sri Lanka. Alas, I have mislaid my photo of this grass but it is about chest high and clump forming, with very long flower bearing stalks.

The photo does not look like the grass I mean. However, I will look into the "Tree Grass" family and see if I can find the one I'm looking for - If you can all wait until autumn, I may have some photos; I have some seedlings growing just now.

Thanks for the replies
Old 27-06-2015, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Compo in Caithness wrote:

Does anyone in the group know the Latin or western common name for "Pohon
Grass", a native of Sri Lanka. Alas, I have mislaid my photo of this
grass but it is about chest high and clump forming, with very long flower
bearing stalks.

GIYF. Xanthorrhoea australis, aka (and definitely not PC) 'Black Boy'
see http://tinyurl.com/qxow6sa and image here to confirm it's what
you're talking about
https://kiyanti2008.files.wordpress....pg?w=765&h=515

Actually a native of Australia. Our local nursery used to sell them.

Google Translate gives Pohon as Indonesian for 'tree'.

I understand the Australians now call them Grass Trees (when they feel the
need to be PC)

A couple of better photos here....

http://bruinsmagrasstrees.com.au/

--