Old 01-07-2015, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Rhubarb query

On 30/06/2015 21:56, JIP wrote:
Hi

I have some rhubarb in it's first year of growth - and doing very well.

I know I shouldn't pick any to eat this year, but not sure if I should
just leave the stalks/leaves in-situ to just die down eventually, or
whether I should be picking the stems and disposing of them.

Advice please.

Many thanks.

No harm in taking a couple of stems if they are plentiful, go on, treat
yourself. Then I just leave mine to die back, then in Spring place
compost of rhubarb all over the crowns, early Spring as they will start
to shoot before most other plants in the garden.