Old 30-06-2015, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb query

Hi

I have some rhubarb in it's first year of growth - and doing very well.

I know I shouldn't pick any to eat this year, but not sure if I should
just leave the stalks/leaves in-situ to just die down eventually, or
whether I should be picking the stems and disposing of them.

Advice please.

Many thanks.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/06/2015 21:56, JIP wrote:
Hi

I have some rhubarb in it's first year of growth - and doing very well.

I know I shouldn't pick any to eat this year, but not sure if I should
just leave the stalks/leaves in-situ to just die down eventually, or
whether I should be picking the stems and disposing of them.

Advice please.

Many thanks.

No harm in taking a couple of stems if they are plentiful, go on, treat
yourself. Then I just leave mine to die back, then in Spring place
compost of rhubarb all over the crowns, early Spring as they will start
to shoot before most other plants in the garden.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/06/2015 21:56, JIP wrote:
Hi

I have some rhubarb in it's first year of growth - and doing very well.

I know I shouldn't pick any to eat this year, but not sure if I should
just leave the stalks/leaves in-situ to just die down eventually, or
whether I should be picking the stems and disposing of them.

Advice please.

Many thanks.

No harm at all in picking just a few stems to tease your palate, and
long as you leave plenty to feed the plant.

But make sure you give it a really good strong feed as soon as it starts
showing in the spring, followed by plenty of water.

--
RG
Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JIP wrote:

Hi

I have some rhubarb in it's first year of growth - and doing very
well.

I know I shouldn't pick any to eat this year, but not sure if I should
just leave the stalks/leaves in-situ to just die down eventually, or
whether I should be picking the stems and disposing of them.

Advice please.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies - I had it in the back of my mind that the first
year's crop was toxic, but further searching around seems to be saying
that it's best avoided to give the new plant to get established. But
on my plant there is so much growth that I think I WILL be tempted!!

Cheers