Old 24-07-2015, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Tropical fruit seeds

On 23/07/2015 5:26 PM, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 23/07/2015 5:37 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

Well, there are guavas and guavas. I expect quite a few people are
growing a guava without knowing it, as Acca (previously Feijoa)
sellowiana - pineapple guava. I grew one of these for years in Horsham,
often enjoying the petals as a nibble, but never seeing fruit. Until
about 10 years ago, when I got a couple of kilos of fruit. I can't say
that I particularly liked the flavour, of the fruit itself but it made
an extraordinarily interesting and tasty chutney.

That's interesting and also a coincidence as I was just reading up on
Feijoas this morning as mine need pruning to get better fruit set.

I had thought that Feijoas weren't considered to be 'real' guavas. I
found out that they are considered gross feeders and I clearly haven't
been feeding mine enough but based on what i read, it's now time for me
to dig out the fert and spread some around.

They are related, but not the same. I have grown it for some years
in a pot, and usually get some flowers. It seems to be extremely
hardy, compared with what it is usually claimed to be.

Feijoas are very hardy. I look out my bedroom French Doors and see mine
white with frost and yet it still puts out flowers and a few fruit when
the weather warms up. Now I know it is a gross feeder and I now have a
book bought recently in NZ and dedicated only to Feijoas and which give
me more information on their needs for fruit production, I intend to
plant out 5 more in a short hedge.