Old 22-07-2015, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tropical fruit seeds

On 21/07/15 15:15, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

I can recommend not bothering with dragonfruit, though the flowers
are very attractive. There are quite a lot of others, including
tree tomato (a small tree) and passion fruit, but all are a bit iffy,
and keeping them under control might conflict with fruiting.

years ago Bob Flowerdew recommended Guava as a good plant to grow from
seed obtained from the fruit, but I have never seen a guava on sale in
supermarkets. Has anyone tried?

Yes. No joy, but I suspect that the fruit was picked green and
'ripened' artificially, from the lack of taste. That's why I don't
usually bother with sub-tropical fruit in the UK - people who have
never had ripe ones are more easily satisfied. And guava seeds are
very hard, so might need chipping.

Well, there are guavas and guavas. I expect quite a few people are
growing a guava without knowing it, as Acca (previously Feijoa)
sellowiana - pineapple guava. I grew one of these for years in Horsham,
often enjoying the petals as a nibble, but never seeing fruit. Until
about 10 years ago, when I got a couple of kilos of fruit. I can't say
that I particularly liked the flavour, of the fruit itself but it made
an extraordinarily interesting and tasty chutney.

--

Jeff
Old 23-07-2015, 04:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:

[...]

That's interesting and also a coincidence as I was just reading up on
Feijoas this morning as mine need pruning to get better fruit set.

I had thought that Feijoas weren't considered to be 'real' guavas. I
found out that they are considered gross feeders and I clearly haven't
been feeding mine enough but based on what i read, it's now time for me
to dig out the fert and spread some around.

Old 23-07-2015, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

They are related, but not the same. I have grown it for some years
in a pot, and usually get some flowers. It seems to be extremely
hardy, compared with what it is usually claimed to be.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-07-2015, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/15 08:26, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:
I had thought that Feijoas weren't considered to be 'real' guavas. I
found out that they are considered gross feeders and I clearly haven't
been feeding mine enough but based on what i read, it's now time for me
to dig out the fert and spread some around.

They are related, but not the same. I have grown it for some years
in a pot, and usually get some flowers. It seems to be extremely
hardy, compared with what it is usually claimed to be.

Indeed. I should have made it clear that mine was grown outside, and I
never saw any frost damage. It was only a metre or two away from the
south-east facing house wall, so that may have helped. I also never gave
it any fertiliser. The new one here in south Hampshire is growing well,
but isn't quite big enough to flower.. It's also only on a west-facing
fence, and not near a wall.

--

Jeff

Old 23-07-2015, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fran Farmer wrote:
I had thought that Feijoas weren't considered to be 'real' guavas. I
found out that they are considered gross feeders and I clearly haven't
been feeding mine enough but based on what i read, it's now time for me
to dig out the fert and spread some around.

They are related, but not the same. I have grown it for some years
in a pot, and usually get some flowers. It seems to be extremely
hardy, compared with what it is usually claimed to be.

Indeed. I should have made it clear that mine was grown outside, and I
never saw any frost damage. It was only a metre or two away from the
south-east facing house wall, so that may have helped. I also never gave
it any fertiliser. The new one here in south Hampshire is growing well,
but isn't quite big enough to flower.. It's also only on a west-facing
fence, and not near a wall.

Mine is in a protected spot, and suffers frost damage every winter.
But the damage is only discolouration of leaves, and sometimes a
little die-back of shoots. Much like what happens to bay, garrya
and so on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-07-2015, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/2015 5:26 PM, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

Feijoas are very hardy. I look out my bedroom French Doors and see mine
white with frost and yet it still puts out flowers and a few fruit when
the weather warms up. Now I know it is a gross feeder and I now have a
book bought recently in NZ and dedicated only to Feijoas and which give
me more information on their needs for fruit production, I intend to
plant out 5 more in a short hedge.