Old 29-07-2015, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] cl@isbd.net is offline

Default Pruning dead branches off pear trees, good idea or not?

We have a small orchard with a mix of pear, apple and plum trees. A
number of the pear trees have dead branches on the North side where
the cold winds blow down across the fields (we're in South Suffolk).

It feels like one should cut off the dead branches, it certainly makes
things look tidier and healthier but I was wondering if they provide
any sort of protection from the wind and weather for the branches
behind them.

So, should I cut the dead bits off or not? ... or doesn't it matter?

--
Chris Green
ยท