Old 29-07-2015, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning dead branches off pear trees, good idea or not?

We have a small orchard with a mix of pear, apple and plum trees. A
number of the pear trees have dead branches on the North side where
the cold winds blow down across the fields (we're in South Suffolk).

It feels like one should cut off the dead branches, it certainly makes
things look tidier and healthier but I was wondering if they provide
any sort of protection from the wind and weather for the branches
behind them.

So, should I cut the dead bits off or not? ... or doesn't it matter?

--
Chris Green
·
Old 29-07-2015, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2015 13:02, wrote:
We have a small orchard with a mix of pear, apple and plum trees. A
number of the pear trees have dead branches on the North side where
the cold winds blow down across the fields (we're in South Suffolk).

It feels like one should cut off the dead branches, it certainly makes
things look tidier and healthier but I was wondering if they provide
any sort of protection from the wind and weather for the branches
behind them.

So, should I cut the dead bits off or not? ... or doesn't it matter?

I should certainly want to prune them off, as they can carry and spread
disease.

You're alright to prune your plum trees now (in good, dry weather), but
they should never be pruned in autumn/winter or cold, wet weather, so
prune from April onwards when the weather is really good. If you prune
in winter or in cold, wet weather you run the risk of Silver Leaf
Disease (a fungal problem) entering your tree. Although a minor attack
of Silver Leaf can be cut out, the disease is capable of killing your
trees. This advice is appropriate for all Prunus trees (which your
plums are), so covers edible and decorative cherries among others.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 29-07-2015, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 29/07/2015 13:02, wrote:
[...]

Pears don't get Silver Leaf do they? It's the pears I'm wondering
about, I know I have to cut any diseased bits off the plum trees as
soon as I see them.

Old 30-07-2015, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2015 15:33, wrote:
Spider wrote:
On 29/07/2015 13:02,
wrote:
[...]

No, I'm not aware of it. I don't grow pears, so can't be more specific.
With any tree/shrub I value, I always make a point of pruning or lopping
in good weather as both wind and rain can carry fungal spores and other
diseases, so that's something to bear in mind.
The cut should always be made beyond the disease into clean, healthy
wood. Where you are simply removing a dead limb, don't cut flush with
the trunk, but just in front of the growth 'branch collar' (a usually
shallow, conical and often wrinkled process between the trunk and the
branch) which contains growth/healing hormones which will help the tree
heal and recover. Never leave a stub to die back. For branches big
enough to require a saw, cut the branch back in sections. When making
the final cut, make sure you 'undercut' the branch so that the falling
branch doesn't tear the bark:

http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Limb-from-a-Tree

I don't use any kind of wound paint either. Usually, by the time you've
got the lid off the tin and painted it on, it's already too late.

Old 30-07-2015, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 29/07/2015 15:33, wrote:
Spider wrote:
On 29/07/2015 13:02,
[...]