Old 29-07-2015, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] cl@isbd.net is offline

Default Pruning dead branches off pear trees, good idea or not?

Spider wrote:
On 29/07/2015 13:02, wrote:
We have a small orchard with a mix of pear, apple and plum trees. A
number of the pear trees have dead branches on the North side where
the cold winds blow down across the fields (we're in South Suffolk).

It feels like one should cut off the dead branches, it certainly makes
things look tidier and healthier but I was wondering if they provide
any sort of protection from the wind and weather for the branches
behind them.

So, should I cut the dead bits off or not? ... or doesn't it matter?

I should certainly want to prune them off, as they can carry and spread
disease.

You're alright to prune your plum trees now (in good, dry weather), but
they should never be pruned in autumn/winter or cold, wet weather, so
prune from April onwards when the weather is really good. If you prune
in winter or in cold, wet weather you run the risk of Silver Leaf

Pears don't get Silver Leaf do they? It's the pears I'm wondering
about, I know I have to cut any diseased bits off the plum trees as
soon as I see them.

Disease (a fungal problem) entering your tree. Although a minor attack
of Silver Leaf can be cut out, the disease is capable of killing your
trees. This advice is appropriate for all Prunus trees (which your
plums are), so covers edible and decorative cherries among others.

--
Chris Green
ยท