Old 30-07-2015, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Crinum Not Blooming

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

I have a white crinum (C. bulbispermum × moorei 'Album'), which has not
flowered for several years. I am reluctant to divide it since I once
read that disturbing its roots at the wrong time can further delay
blooming for several more years (just like its Amaryllis and Sprekelia
relatives).

Does anyone know what is the right time to divide crinums?

http://www.louistheplantgeek.com/a-g...um-white-queen

interesting that it is compared to amarylis. the
amarylis here seem to do ok with being divided (the
larger bulbs bloom the next spring without a problem
for me), but i do this during the mid-winter after
they've been forced into dormancy.

from the description it sounds like in the colder
climates crinum can also be forced into dormancy.

i think lifting the clump and taking off the smaller
side shoots can give you some viable plants, and this
may also give you a chance to amend the soil again
to help it flower some more. perhaps it will do better
having a little less competition, more nutrients and
water?

songbird