Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default placing large flat stones around base of young trees

On 04/08/2015 12:07, Pass me the gentle persuader wrote:
Recently, I planted a couple of fruit trees in my garden. I placed large
flat stones (like crazy paving, but without the mortar) around the base to
deter weeds from growing and drawing on the soil's nutrients. Was this an
OK thing to do? I keep the trees well watered, using a hose. I ask because
I can't remember seeing this method of weed control used anywhere else.

Many thanks,

PM

Plenty of plants thrive with their roots under slabs, mainly because it
stops the soil drying out