Old 04-08-2015, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default placing large flat stones around base of young trees

Recently, I planted a couple of fruit trees in my garden. I placed large
flat stones (like crazy paving, but without the mortar) around the base to
deter weeds from growing and drawing on the soil's nutrients. Was this an
OK thing to do? I keep the trees well watered, using a hose. I ask because
I can't remember seeing this method of weed control used anywhere else.

Many thanks,

PM
Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/08/2015 12:07, Pass me the gentle persuader wrote:
Recently, I planted a couple of fruit trees in my garden. I placed large
flat stones (like crazy paving, but without the mortar) around the base to
deter weeds from growing and drawing on the soil's nutrients. Was this an
OK thing to do? I keep the trees well watered, using a hose. I ask because
I can't remember seeing this method of weed control used anywhere else.

Many thanks,

PM

Plenty of plants thrive with their roots under slabs, mainly because it
stops the soil drying out
Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/08/2015 12:07, Pass me the gentle persuader wrote:

Recently, I planted a couple of fruit trees in my garden. I placed large
flat stones (like crazy paving, but without the mortar) around the base to
deter weeds from growing and drawing on the soil's nutrients. Was this an
OK thing to do? I keep the trees well watered, using a hose. I ask because
I can't remember seeing this method of weed control used anywhere else.

They might sulk if it excludes oxygen from reaching the roots.
ISTR fruit trees can reach badly to being buried too deep.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 04-08-2015, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote in
:

Recently, I planted a couple of fruit trees in my garden. I placed
large flat stones (like crazy paving, but without the mortar) around
the base to deter weeds from growing and drawing on the soil's
nutrients. Was this an OK thing to do? I keep the trees well watered,
using a hose. I ask because I can't remember seeing this method of
weed control used anywhere else.

They might sulk if it excludes oxygen from reaching the roots.
ISTR fruit trees can reach badly to being buried too deep.

Thank you. It did occur to me that the weight of the stones might compress
the soil unnaturally. I also wondered if it would have any effect on the
earthworm population around the roots.

PM
Old 04-08-2015, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote in news:CW1wx.95465
:

Plenty of plants thrive with their roots under slabs, mainly because it
stops the soil drying out

Thanks... That did occur to me, but then it also occurred to me that they
might soak up rainwater. They are limestone, which seems somewhat
absorbent.

PM