Old 11-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Lintama Lintama is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
There is a hedge of rather high Leylandii trees only about four feet away and I often hear birds chirping from there. Next year I will have to grown them somewhere else. I hadn't thought about birds as I hadn't seen any birds near the beans but perhaps very early in the morning they are up to no good. I will see if I have some old CDs to hang amongst the bean plants for the rest of the season.

Many thanks Bob for your suggestion. It does make sense.

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|

It could be birds, as Bob says, but it looks to me as it they have not set.
If you haven't had much rain recently, try misting the flowers every day and
see if that makes a difference. It could (perhaps) also be lack of
pollinating insects so make sure you have bee-friendly plants nearby.

HTH.
[/quote]
Hi, Don't know your name, I did mist them on a few occasions when the flowers developed and we do have a fair amount of flies, bees and other flying beasts around. Had this problem this past three years or so and just maybe the birds are the problem. Next year will be the test. I am still hoping for some beans this year though.
Thank you for your comments. By the way, what exactly does misting the flowers do?