Old 11-08-2015, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default weedol vs roundup?

On 11/08/2015 15:05, lid wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 08:42:35 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

"ICI" Verdone lawn weedkiller is the broadleaf specific lawn weedkiller.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdone-Extr.../dp/B005AV569Y

The clue is in the name!

I think the one I need is "Weedol Gun! Lawn Weedkiller 1L"

Advice, please? Is weedol the "magic bullet", is roundup definitely
not advised, are there other products which could suit?

If you can still find it then the lawn weedkiller Verdone concentrate
will give you enough to zap weeds in lawns for several seasons assuming
you store it somewhere cool and dark. This link might help you

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/w...home-gardeners

Is it hell. The people who advised you are clueless idiots.

I am trying to understand which option would work best for the weeds
as pictured above.

(1) One option would be to put down a "kill everything" weedkiller
such as Round Up, wait for both grass and weeds to die, and then
(maybe a month after application of weedkiller) put down grass seeds
to recreate the lawn.

Does that option sound sensible? I am not a gardener so I would like
to know whether that is a possibility.

Only if you kill the entire lawn. Otherwise the new grass patch will
inevitably look quite different in colour and texture to the old.

(2) The other option would be to put down selective weedkiller which
kills weeds but not grass. Round UP is plainly not in this category.

Looking at;

http://www.roundup.com/smg/article/c...heFacts_v2.jpg

they are all "weed and grass killers". Is it correct that Round Up
does not manufacture "weed only" killers, they all act on grass also?

AFAIK Roundup products are mostly glyphosate and non specific killing
anything green that they touch. Grass is exquisitely sensitive to it.

they also have; http://www.lovethegarden.com/weedol

the weedol products are;

weedol path clear
weedol rootkill plus
weedol fast acting
weedol ultra tough
weedol lawn

The product which interests me most is;

http://www.lovethegarden.com/product...awn-weedkiller

"Pre-diluted ready-to-use selective weedkiller spray that gives
season-long control of broad-leaf weeds without harming the grass.
Ideal for spot treatment or treating small patches of weeds within the
lawn."

If you don't mind buying impure water at grossly inflated prices then by
all means try the Weedol prediluted lawn product. But if you expect to
have a prolonged fight with tough weeds that have already resisted a
commercial treatment then I'd recommend buying selective broadleaf
weedkiller concentrate and a wand based pressure sprayer.

Opinions? Advice? tvm

You used to be able to get a wax crayon formulation of broadleaf
specific weedkiller suitable for hitting the last few weeds.

Myself I prefer the 12" screwdriver down the side for tap rooted weeds
followed by a chemical treatment if there is any sign of regrowth.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown