Old 10-08-2015, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weedol vs roundup?

We've had a problem for years with weeds in our garden. A couple of
times an allegedly professional gardener has put down weedkiller,
which has not been effective.

Here are some jpgs of the weeds as they are now.

http://cpm86.com/SANY0001.JPG
http://cpm86.com/SANY0002.JPG
http://cpm86.com/SANY0003.JPG
http://cpm86.com/SANY0004.JPG

I've previously tried Round UP which has killed everything, grass and
weeds, yet the weeds still re-emerge a few weeks later.

I phoned today to www.lovethegarden.com who told me I should try
weedol, apparently this clears out the weeds but does not harm the
grass lawn.

I think the one I need is "Weedol Gun! Lawn Weedkiller 1L"

Advice, please? Is weedol the "magic bullet", is roundup definitely
not advised, are there other products which could suit?

tvm
Old 10-08-2015, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:13:38 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

My understanding is that they ar both essentially the same chemical but not nearly as effective as older versiosn that have now been banned.

Both kill grass, so if you want ot kill weeds in your lawn you should use SBK which does not kill grass and does not kill all lawn weeds either.

Jonathan
Old 10-08-2015, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 07:21:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I phoned today to
www.lovethegarden.com who told me I should try
weedol, apparently this clears out the weeds but does not harm the
grass lawn.

I think the one I need is "Weedol Gun! Lawn Weedkiller 1L"

Advice, please? Is weedol the "magic bullet", is roundup definitely
not advised, are there other products which could suit?

tvm

My understanding is that they ar both essentially the same chemical but not nearly as effective as older versiosn that have now been banned.

Both kill grass, so if you want ot kill weeds in your lawn you should use SBK which does not kill grass and does not kill all lawn weeds either.

Jonathan

The person I spoke to at "www.lovethegarden.com" specifically said
weedol "kill weeds but not grass".

What is SBK, and where do I buy some?
Old 10-08-2015, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tvm wrote in ...

We've had a problem for years with weeds in our garden. A couple of
times an allegedly professional gardener has put down weedkiller,
which has not been effective.

Here are some jpgs of the weeds as they are now.

http://cpm86.com/SANY0001.JPG
http://cpm86.com/SANY0002.JPG
http://cpm86.com/SANY0003.JPG
http://cpm86.com/SANY0004.JPG

I've previously tried Round UP which has killed everything, grass and
weeds, yet the weeds still re-emerge a few weeks later.

I phoned today to www.lovethegarden.com who told me I should try
weedol, apparently this clears out the weeds but does not harm the
grass lawn.

I think the one I need is "Weedol Gun! Lawn Weedkiller 1L"

Advice, please? Is weedol the "magic bullet", is roundup definitely
not advised, are there other products which could suit?

Personally, with those weeds, which look like Alcanet, I would try to dig
out the long tap root and use a spot weeder on ones I couldn't. You can buy
thick paste like Glyphosate in a tube which sticks to the leaves, warning,
never use if it's going to rain.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Personally, with those weeds, which look like Alcanet, I would try to dig
out the long tap root and use a spot weeder on ones I couldn't. You can buy
thick paste like Glyphosate in a tube which sticks to the leaves, warning,
never use if it's going to rain.

I don't think that they are, but the treatment is the same for most
such weeds (i.e. as you say). Most such weeds are fairly resistant
to glyphosate, but few will regrow from below the root base, so you
need only cut under that (which may be 4-6" down!) and remove the top.
That certainly works for alkanet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2015 15:13, lid wrote:
[...]

Be careful. I was searcing for Verdone at the weekend and was told that
it had been replaces with Weedol lawn weedkiller. AFAIK The originasl
Weedolis still a kill all weedkiller

Malcolm
Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2015 15:13, lid wrote:
We've had a problem for years with weeds in our garden. A couple of
times an allegedly professional gardener has put down weedkiller,
which has not been effective.

Here are some jpgs of the weeds as they are now.

http://cpm86.com/SANY0001.JPG
http://cpm86.com/SANY0002.JPG
http://cpm86.com/SANY0003.JPG
http://cpm86.com/SANY0004.JPG

I've previously tried Round UP which has killed everything, grass and
weeds, yet the weeds still re-emerge a few weeks later.

I phoned today to www.lovethegarden.com who told me I should try
weedol, apparently this clears out the weeds but does not harm the
grass lawn.

That is completely incorrect - they want shooting!
Weedol is just another kills everything glyphosate weedkiller.

Although some also contain(ed) paraquat. It is very confusing now that
the marketting men have muddied the waters with established brandnames
reformulated with completely different ineffective ingredients.

Only "Pathclear" would be a worse choice for use on a lawn!

"ICI" Verdone lawn weedkiller is the broadleaf specific lawn weedkiller.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdone-Extr.../dp/B005AV569Y

The clue is in the name!

I think the one I need is "Weedol Gun! Lawn Weedkiller 1L"

Advice, please? Is weedol the "magic bullet", is roundup definitely
not advised, are there other products which could suit?

tvm

Is it hell. The people who advised you are clueless idiots.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-08-2015, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2015 22:45, Malcolm Race wrote:
On 10/08/2015 15:13, lid wrote:
[...]

They are lining themselves up for some very expensive litigation then!

AFAIK The originasl
Weedolis still a kill all weedkiller

Malcolm

Weedol these days seems to be meaningless beyond a brandname.
You can find various formulations labelled "Weedol X".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-08-2015, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 08:42:35 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 10/08/2015 15:13, lid wrote:
[...]

I am trying to understand which option would work best for the weeds
as pictured above.

(1) One option would be to put down a "kill everything" weedkiller
such as Round Up, wait for both grass and weeds to die, and then
(maybe a month after application of weedkiller) put down grass seeds
to recreate the lawn.

Does that option sound sensible? I am not a gardener so I would like
to know whether that is a possibility.

(2) The other option would be to put down selective weedkiller which
kills weeds but not grass. Round UP is plainly not in this category.

Looking at;

http://www.roundup.com/smg/article/c...heFacts_v2.jpg

they are all "weed and grass killers". Is it correct that Round Up
does not manufacture "weed only" killers, they all act on grass also?

The UK website for Round Up is; http://www.roundup-garden.com/contact

their phone number is Tel: 0845 190 1881

they can also be reached at; http://www.lovethegarden.com/

they also have; http://www.lovethegarden.com/weedol

the weedol products are;

weedol path clear
weedol rootkill plus
weedol fast acting
weedol ultra tough
weedol lawn

The product which interests me most is;

http://www.lovethegarden.com/product...awn-weedkiller

"Pre-diluted ready-to-use selective weedkiller spray that gives
season-long control of broad-leaf weeds without harming the grass.
Ideal for spot treatment or treating small patches of weeds within the
lawn."

The same product is at;

http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/cat/lawn-weed-killer

http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/prod/lawn...killer-r2u.htm

"Formulated for use on lawns
Selective weed killer for broad leaved weeds"

The best of these for my application seems to be;

http://www.lovethegarden.com/product...awn-weedkiller

Opinions? Advice? tvm
Old 11-08-2015, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"ICI" Verdone lawn weedkiller is the broadleaf specific lawn weedkiller.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdone-Extr.../dp/B005AV569Y

The clue is in the name!

I think the one I need is "Weedol Gun! Lawn Weedkiller 1L"

Advice, please? Is weedol the "magic bullet", is roundup definitely
not advised, are there other products which could suit?

If you can still find it then the lawn weedkiller Verdone concentrate
will give you enough to zap weeds in lawns for several seasons assuming
you store it somewhere cool and dark. This link might help you

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/w...home-gardeners

Is it hell. The people who advised you are clueless idiots.

I am trying to understand which option would work best for the weeds
as pictured above.

(1) One option would be to put down a "kill everything" weedkiller
such as Round Up, wait for both grass and weeds to die, and then
(maybe a month after application of weedkiller) put down grass seeds
to recreate the lawn.

Does that option sound sensible? I am not a gardener so I would like
to know whether that is a possibility.

Only if you kill the entire lawn. Otherwise the new grass patch will
inevitably look quite different in colour and texture to the old.

(2) The other option would be to put down selective weedkiller which
kills weeds but not grass. Round UP is plainly not in this category.

Looking at;

http://www.roundup.com/smg/article/c...heFacts_v2.jpg

they are all "weed and grass killers". Is it correct that Round Up
does not manufacture "weed only" killers, they all act on grass also?

AFAIK Roundup products are mostly glyphosate and non specific killing
anything green that they touch. Grass is exquisitely sensitive to it.

they also have; http://www.lovethegarden.com/weedol

the weedol products are;

weedol path clear
weedol rootkill plus
weedol fast acting
weedol ultra tough
weedol lawn

The product which interests me most is;

http://www.lovethegarden.com/product...awn-weedkiller

"Pre-diluted ready-to-use selective weedkiller spray that gives
season-long control of broad-leaf weeds without harming the grass.
Ideal for spot treatment or treating small patches of weeds within the
lawn."

If you don't mind buying impure water at grossly inflated prices then by
all means try the Weedol prediluted lawn product. But if you expect to
have a prolonged fight with tough weeds that have already resisted a
commercial treatment then I'd recommend buying selective broadleaf
weedkiller concentrate and a wand based pressure sprayer.

Opinions? Advice? tvm

You used to be able to get a wax crayon formulation of broadleaf
specific weedkiller suitable for hitting the last few weeds.

Myself I prefer the 12" screwdriver down the side for tap rooted weeds
followed by a chemical treatment if there is any sign of regrowth.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 11-08-2015, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Opinions? Advice? tvm

You used to be able to get a wax crayon formulation of broadleaf
specific weedkiller suitable for hitting the last few weeds.

Myself I prefer the 12" screwdriver down the side for tap rooted weeds
followed by a chemical treatment if there is any sign of regrowth.

I get the feeling that you are just looking for yet another senseless
idiot to blame if it doesn't work out as you want.
No weed killer will put an end to weeds growing where you want your only
repeated work over a long time will do that.lawn,
Remember,
One years seeding, 7 years weeding
Old 11-08-2015, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2015 20:23, David Hill wrote:

Opinions? Advice? tvm

You used to be able to get a wax crayon formulation of broadleaf
specific weedkiller suitable for hitting the last few weeds.

Myself I prefer the 12" screwdriver down the side for tap rooted weeds
followed by a chemical treatment if there is any sign of regrowth.

I get the feeling that you are just looking for yet another senseless
idiot to blame if it doesn't work out as you want.
No weed killer will put an end to weeds growing where you want your only
repeated work over a long time will do that.lawn,
Remember,
One years seeding, 7 years weeding

Actually to be fair a neighbours lawn that had been in severe disrepair
for nearly a decade. I would nuke it with leftover Verdone once a year.

Once someone keen and retired moved in they cut it regularly once a week
and applied weed and feed spring and autumn and it came good in about 18
months. I was surprised by how quickly it was recovered.

Benefits me too since fewer weed seeds from next door.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Weedol 2 Mervington United Kingdom 10 15-09-2015 01:39 PM
Safe to use Weedol 2 now on my overgown vegetable plot? 66oldgit United Kingdom 7 05-05-2013 01:15 PM
What Good is Weedol? Davy[_2_] United Kingdom 2 24-07-2008 08:34 PM
Weedol Alan Gould United Kingdom 0 05-02-2003 06:01 AM
Weedol Ben United Kingdom 8 05-02-2003 01:59 AM