Old 13-08-2015, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] fairestdancer@gmail.com is offline

Default Hoya plants

Hello all,

I have a unidentified Hoya. probably Carnosa but i heard those have climbing vines and this one does not, the vines just lay there. I adopted it from a former place of employment.

When i first saw it, the poor hoya was almost dead with a foot long brow vine that had the texture (leaves and stem) of old wood. a horrible infestation of white mold in its root ball, and one pair of stunted leaves right near the base that were the most beautiful green i had ever seen.

I asked around and found that the plant had been in the window when the business had moved in the building (10 years prior) and people just dumped water on it when they remembered. feeling sorry for the poor thing and having no idea what it was (i had never seen one before) I decided to do something drastic.

first i cut off all the dead, then i cut off as much of the infected root i could find (80% of it). I then washed the whole remaining with my favorite miracle solution (per gallon: 2 tlb spoon white vinegar, 3 small squirts of dawn dish soap, rest water. this will kill almost bug in my experience), potted it in some potting mix i had lying around at home, and watered it once ever week or two with a couple drops of orchid plant food. For my efforts I was rewarded with wonderful growth and a single flower that i swear smelled like chocolate.

when the business closed i took the plant with me. hasn't flowered since but the vine was almost 7 ft long when i took some cuttings to see if i can root them. as i am writing this im waiting to call a nursery to see if they have any as well cause so far i havent found any.