Old 15-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Matthew Durkin

Default Hoya plants

Hi All,
I recently purchased my first hoya plant (I don't think it will be my
last!). I love the lush foliage, and am looking forward to the highly
scented flowers that I'm lead to believe they get (mine had 2 tags -
australis and carnosa - difficult to distinguish I think before flower,
though I think it's an autralis).

I have a few of questions:
Does anyone know where I could buy hoya seeds in the UK? Can't seem to find
anyone with a range of different seeds. I like growing things from seed so
any advice here much appreciated!
Failing the seeds, does anyone know any place in the UK with a good range of
plants?
Also, if anyone has a Hoya macgillivrayi and wouldn't mind taking a cutting
for me please let me know!! It has wonderful big purple flowers and is
nicely scented.
I've also been looking for books on hoyas. Can't seem to find any at a
reasonable price - advice here much appreciated also.
Finally - what is everyone's favourite hoya? Seems they're not that comon so
I'd be interested to know if there are any fellow hoya fans out there...

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 16-08-2004, 04:45 AM
Cereus-validus

Hoya seed is rarely if ever available.
They are typically propagated from cuttings.

http://www.succulent-plant.com/hoya.html

http://www.international-hoya.org/

Old 16-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Matthew Durkin
writes

Failing the seeds, does anyone know any place in the UK with a good range of
plants?

Your local branch of the British Cacti and Succulent Society is likely
to contain someone who grows them (or knows someone who does). I have a
small H. carnosa. They sell well in flower so I'd expect them to be
available at reasonable prices when/if the branch has a sale day to the
public.

Also, if anyone has a Hoya macgillivrayi and wouldn't mind taking a cutting
for me please let me know!! It has wonderful big purple flowers and is
nicely scented.

I don't have that one. Citrus trees in flower are hard to beat for
perfume at this time of year.

I've also been looking for books on hoyas. Can't seem to find any at a
reasonable price - advice here much appreciated also.

There used to be a book by Kloppenburg, D "Phillipine Hoya Species" for
about £10. It may be out of print. K & Wayman "The Hoya Handbook" is
about £25. Whitestone nurseries might have the books, but I don't think
he grows (m)any hoyas.

Finally - what is everyone's favourite hoya? Seems they're not that comon so
I'd be interested to know if there are any fellow hoya fans out there...

I have only bothered to grow H. carnosa. It's a nice enough plant. The
flowers recur on old flower heads so never tidy them up. It is a bit of
a martyr to mealy bug too. If there are any about they will be on it.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 16-08-2004, 11:36 AM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Matthew Durkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
I recently purchased my first hoya plant (I don't think it will be my
last!). I love the lush foliage, and am looking forward to the highly
scented flowers

They give me a headache and make me feel sick :0(

Old 16-08-2004, 12:53 PM
jane

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:54:04 GMT, "Matthew Durkin"
wrote:

~Hi All,
~I recently purchased my first hoya plant (I don't think it will be my
~last!). I love the lush foliage, and am looking forward to the highly
~scented flowers that I'm lead to believe they get (mine had 2 tags -
~australis and carnosa - difficult to distinguish I think before flower,
~though I think it's an autralis).

My best advice is DON'T place the plant over upholstery, carpets or
nice wooden surfaces.

Those flowers drip lots of sticky nectar, onto the leaves (which then
go black with sooty mould) and onto everything below, and I'm sure you
won't want to ruin your carpets. It's a total nuisance for this.

Mine is about 10' long and in the tiled conservatory. The flowers pong
at night like cat pee.

Don't deadhead the flower stalks as the next flush grows on the same
stalk.

Clean leaves regularly with clean water and a sponge.

~
~I have a few of questions:
~Does anyone know where I could buy hoya seeds in the UK? Can't seem to find
~anyone with a range of different seeds. I like growing things from seed so
~any advice here much appreciated!
~Failing the seeds, does anyone know any place in the UK with a good range of
~plants?

I'm tempted to say you can have mine (a carnosa I think) and welcome.
It's got to the point of having 20-30 flower clusters per flush, and
I'm sick of cleaning up after it. You anywhere near the Chilterns?

~Also, if anyone has a Hoya macgillivrayi and wouldn't mind taking a cutting
~for me please let me know!! It has wonderful big purple flowers and is
~nicely scented.
~I've also been looking for books on hoyas. Can't seem to find any at a
~reasonable price - advice here much appreciated also.
~Finally - what is everyone's favourite hoya? Seems they're not that comon so
~I'd be interested to know if there are any fellow hoya fans out there...

I like the flowers - but think mine was crossed with a triffid.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 16-08-2004, 07:13 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Maybe you should change your meds?

Since you seem to know so much about my med's, perhaps you could suggest
which I should change to.

Old 16-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Matthew Durkin

wrote:

[...]

Sadly I'm not near the chilterns and I may already have a carnosa. I've
heard of them sometimes having bad smelling flowers - I think it depends on
the exact species and to some extent luck of the draw!!
I have mine wound around a circle so it's quite neat - copefully the carnage
will be less than what you experience when it flowers.

Old 18-08-2004, 01:02 AM
Roz Lacey

I love my Hoya Carnosa. It resides in my porch (unheated in winter) and
really copes with my gross neglect. I leave it alone all winter and water
when I remember, spring to summer. The perfume wafts through the house as
if an air freshener. Just a leaf shoved in the soil around the plant, will
take root. It is very easy to cultivate but is slow to grow - then if you
feed it, it runs away. I think the purple or magenta Hoya is called Hoya
Imperialis. I have never heard of the other one.

Old 14-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Registered User

"Failing the seeds, does anyone know any place in the UK with a good[/i][/color][/i][/color]
range[color=blue][i][color=green][i]
of
~plants?"

Hi,
I'm new here but saw your message. I've got a friend who sellls Hoya online at www.mollystropicalplants.com
I'm not sure what type they are but I know there are quite a few.
Hope this helps,
Graeme

Old 13-08-2015, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello all,

I have a unidentified Hoya. probably Carnosa but i heard those have climbing vines and this one does not, the vines just lay there. I adopted it from a former place of employment.

When i first saw it, the poor hoya was almost dead with a foot long brow vine that had the texture (leaves and stem) of old wood. a horrible infestation of white mold in its root ball, and one pair of stunted leaves right near the base that were the most beautiful green i had ever seen.

I asked around and found that the plant had been in the window when the business had moved in the building (10 years prior) and people just dumped water on it when they remembered. feeling sorry for the poor thing and having no idea what it was (i had never seen one before) I decided to do something drastic.

first i cut off all the dead, then i cut off as much of the infected root i could find (80% of it). I then washed the whole remaining with my favorite miracle solution (per gallon: 2 tlb spoon white vinegar, 3 small squirts of dawn dish soap, rest water. this will kill almost bug in my experience), potted it in some potting mix i had lying around at home, and watered it once ever week or two with a couple drops of orchid plant food. For my efforts I was rewarded with wonderful growth and a single flower that i swear smelled like chocolate.

when the business closed i took the plant with me. hasn't flowered since but the vine was almost 7 ft long when i took some cuttings to see if i can root them. as i am writing this im waiting to call a nursery to see if they have any as well cause so far i havent found any.