Old 20-08-2015, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Germinating Sequoia seeds?

In article ,
Michael Bell wrote:

There is a plentiful supply of seeds from the trees at the
Minsteracres retreat centre, but he and I cannot get them to germinate
and grow. The cones with the seeds in them will start falling soon, so
now is the time to think about how to do it and get any materials and
equipment. We would be grateful for good advice.

Sequoiadendron giganteum or Sequoia sempervirens? If the former,
they need to be sown on mineral soil that's the reason that they
need fires to germinate. Try mixing wood ash and loam or a John
Innes compost. That's from reading, not experience, incidentally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.