Old 20-08-2015, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Germinating Sequoia seeds?

A friend of mine wants to become a kind of "Johnny Appleseed"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed) only his target tree
is Sequoia and he wants to plant them in Northumberland. There are
many obstacles to be overcome, one of which is to make sure that the
seedlings are recognised for what they are and they are protected. But
the first step is to get seedlings to plant, and we have had problems
with that. How do you germinate them?

There is a plentiful supply of seeds from the trees at the
Minsteracres retreat centre, but he and I cannot get them to germinate
and grow. The cones with the seeds in them will start falling soon, so
now is the time to think about how to do it and get any materials and
equipment. We would be grateful for good advice.

Michael Bell

--

---

Old 20-08-2015, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Michael Bell wrote:

There is a plentiful supply of seeds from the trees at the
Minsteracres retreat centre, but he and I cannot get them to germinate
and grow. The cones with the seeds in them will start falling soon, so
now is the time to think about how to do it and get any materials and
equipment. We would be grateful for good advice.

Sequoiadendron giganteum or Sequoia sempervirens? If the former,
they need to be sown on mineral soil that's the reason that they
need fires to germinate. Try mixing wood ash and loam or a John
Innes compost. That's from reading, not experience, incidentally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

sequoia seeds Hy CSK Plant Science 0 10-03-2004 04:17 AM
sequoia seeds Hy CSK Plant Science 0 10-03-2004 04:16 AM
growing GIANT SEQUOIA- Sequoiadendron giganteum in India Mhagen Plant Science 11 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
Draft EIS for Sequoia National Monument Larry Harrell alt.forestry 1 30-12-2002 09:41 PM
growing GIANT SEQUOIA- Sequoiadendron giganteum in India Mhagen alt.forestry 0 14-12-2002 07:32 PM