Old 01-09-2015, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Drying Onions

On 31/08/2015 17:43, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message ...

On 31/08/2015 12:05, Roger Tonkin wrote:
My onion sets have done well this year, and although the tops
went over quite early they have continued to swell.

Normally by now, the tops start to turn brown and dry off and
I'd lift them out of the ground, but this year they've stayed
green. Given the weather we've had I'm not surprised, but I
really need to get them out and dries for storage within a
couple of weeks.

Can I just lift them and leave them to dry on the garage floor,
or is there a better way?

Having had a wonderful crop last year this has been a failure. Like
your the tops failed to brown, so I lifted them clear of the ground,
then when the tops had browned I lifted them out completely
preparatory to stringing them. Sadly when I came to examine them a
fair percentage had mold on the roots, so I guess that I will not be
planting onions there again for some years. Which sadly probably means
forever, as I am now approaching 80. :-((

Yes, sounds like White Rot. We have had that on both our allotments but
we still grow onions but space them at least 9 inches apart and 12
inches between rows so the roots don't touch. Still lose some but we get
enough. You could also try watering your plot, the bit without onions,
with onion water so the fungus germinates and dies as it has nothing to
eat.

Thanks for that Bob. By onion water I assume that to be water in which
onions are boiled, then the water is cooled?