Old 31-08-2015, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drying Onions

My onion sets have done well this year, and although the tops
went over quite early they have continued to swell.

Normally by now, the tops start to turn brown and dry off and
I'd lift them out of the ground, but this year they've stayed
green. Given the weather we've had I'm not surprised, but I
really need to get them out and dries for storage within a
couple of weeks.

Can I just lift them and leave them to dry on the garage floor,
or is there a better way?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 31-08-2015, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/08/2015 12:05, Roger Tonkin wrote:
My onion sets have done well this year, and although the tops
went over quite early they have continued to swell.

Normally by now, the tops start to turn brown and dry off and
I'd lift them out of the ground, but this year they've stayed
green. Given the weather we've had I'm not surprised, but I
really need to get them out and dries for storage within a
couple of weeks.

Can I just lift them and leave them to dry on the garage floor,
or is there a better way?

Having had a wonderful crop last year this has been a failure. Like your
the tops failed to brown, so I lifted them clear of the ground, then
when the tops had browned I lifted them out completely preparatory to
stringing them. Sadly when I came to examine them a fair percentage had
mold on the roots, so I guess that I will not be planting onions there
again for some years. Which sadly probably means forever, as I am now
approaching 80. :-((
Old 31-08-2015, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

[...]

Yes, sounds like White Rot. We have had that on both our allotments but we
still grow onions but space them at least 9 inches apart and 12 inches
between rows so the roots don't touch. Still lose some but we get enough.
You could also try watering your plot, the bit without onions, with onion
water so the fungus germinates and dies as it has nothing to eat.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/08/2015 17:43, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks for that Bob. By onion water I assume that to be water in which
onions are boiled, then the water is cooled?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Thanks for that Bob. By onion water I assume that to be water in which
onions are boiled, then the water is cooled?

I have not done it, but I would advise liquidising raw onions, and
straining the juice, and then diluting that considerably (e.g.
1000:1). Boiling might destroy the triggering chemical.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.