Old 20-09-2015, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] brunnian@gmail.com is offline

Default Recommendations please - replacement tree

We just took down a Silver Birch, much to my annoyance. I really miss it.

I am looking for something to replace it, around 5 metres from the house and 4 metres from another surviving silver birch that is around 45 years old and around 5 metres high. Soil is heavyish clay, south Lincolnshire,just off the fens.

Ideally I would like something with an edible crop, be that fruit or nuts, but am having trouble identifying something suitable. I am 65 years old, and want to plant a tree for me, not for some unknown successor. I am quite prepared to pay for summat already 4 metres tall, at least.

1. can anyone suggest something interesting for the spot?

2. Can anyone suggest a tree nursery in the Lincolnshire/Leicestershire/Rutland/Cambridgeshire area who might be prpared to supply and plant a semi-mature specimen of whatever it is that we come up with?