Old 21-09-2015, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommendations please - replacement tree

On 20/09/15 11:37, wrote:
We just took down a Silver Birch, much to my annoyance. I really
miss it.

I am looking for something to replace it, around 5 metres from the
house and 4 metres from another surviving silver birch that is around
45 years old and around 5 metres high. Soil is heavyish clay, south
Lincolnshire,just off the fens.

Ideally I would like something with an edible crop, be that fruit or
nuts, but am having trouble identifying something suitable. I am 65
years old, and want to plant a tree for me, not for some unknown
successor. I am quite prepared to pay for summat already 4 metres
tall, at least.

1. can anyone suggest something interesting for the spot?

2. Can anyone suggest a tree nursery in the
Lincolnshire/Leicestershire/Rutland/Cambridgeshire area who might be
prpared to supply and plant a semi-mature specimen of whatever it is
that we come up with?

Depends somewhat on the position, but would a cherry of some sort fill
the bill? You might get some good blossom, maybe fruit, perhaps autumn
colour, and, with something like Prunus serrula, the bark would shine
throughout winter.

--

Jeff