Old 21-09-2015, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Recommendations please - replacement tree

On 20/09/2015 11:37, wrote:
We just took down a Silver Birch, much to my annoyance. I really miss it.

I am looking for something to replace it, around 5 metres from the house and 4 metres from another surviving silver birch that is around 45 years old and around 5 metres high. Soil is heavyish clay, south Lincolnshire,just off the fens.

Ideally I would like something with an edible crop, be that fruit or nuts, but am having trouble identifying something suitable. I am 65 years old, and want to plant a tree for me, not for some unknown successor. I am quite prepared to pay for summat already 4 metres tall, at least.

1. can anyone suggest something interesting for the spot?

2. Can anyone suggest a tree nursery in the Lincolnshire/Leicestershire/Rutland/Cambridgeshire area who might be prpared to supply and plant a semi-mature specimen of whatever it is that we come up with?

Just keep in mind that the other birch is nearing the end of its life,
they are not long lived trees.