Old 25-09-2015, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Killing ivy

On 24/09/2015 23:18, Chris French wrote:
In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:55:52 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:28:21 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

Just dig it up. If the roots are rather thick, chop them off with a
spade, hand axe or grub axe, about a foot or so away from the stump.

This may be difficult, as the ivy is less than a foot from a patio.
It is in a border to the patio about 2ft or less wide.

You can still dig it up; plenty of room there to ram down a spade or
whatever to cut the roots. Where there's a will...

I cut down and then dug out ivy roots from a bed of similar width next
to our patio, it hasn't returned. You don't need to get all the roots
out, just the main bit

+1

---