Old 20-09-2015, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing ivy

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 20-09-2015, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/09/15 14:28, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

It's not the best time of the year to deal with ivy. Prepare for a long
battle. If it's coming up where there are no other plants (unlikely)
then use one of the persistent herbicides you can use on paths. These
act on emergent shoots, but in my experience are a bit hit and miss.

Other than that, if the ivy stump has a diameter of a few cm, drill a
few 5mm holes and fill with a strong glyphosate solution. Cover with a
small polythene bag to stop rain washing the solution out. Repeat if the
solution disappears.

Or wait until next spring when the new soft growth appears. Allow a few
leaves to grow, then spray with glyphosate. Wrap in a polythene bag to
keep the rain off. Spray again at least twice over the next few weeks.
You may have to keep doing this to finally kill off the ivy.

--

Jeff
Old 20-09-2015, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/09/2015 15:22, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:28:21 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

Just dig it up. If the roots are rather thick, chop them off with a
spade, hand axe or grub axe, about a foot or so away from the stump.
IME ivy is not deep rooted, and long trailing roots can be hauled out
of the ground without too much difficulty. Just grab them and pull!
Smaller roots can safely be left in the ground to rot, provided
they're buried.

+1.
Old 20-09-2015, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

When I killed a very large ivy, the large leaved sort, I simply cut the
roots off below ground level as I had been told they haven't any dormant
buds below the ground so cannot regrow from the roots. Worked for me.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-09-2015, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/09/2015 12:32 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 20/09/15 14:28, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

It's not the best time of the year to deal with ivy. Prepare for a long
battle.

Oh yeah!

If it's coming up where there are no other plants (unlikely)
then use one of the persistent herbicides you can use on paths. These
act on emergent shoots, but in my experience are a bit hit and miss.

Other than that, if the ivy stump has a diameter of a few cm, drill a
few 5mm holes and fill with a strong glyphosate solution. Cover with a
small polythene bag to stop rain washing the solution out. Repeat if the
solution disappears.

Or wait until next spring when the new soft growth appears. Allow a few
leaves to grow, then spray with glyphosate. Wrap in a polythene bag to
keep the rain off. Spray again at least twice over the next few weeks.
You may have to keep doing this to finally kill off the ivy.

I've never found glyphosate alone to be effective. I've combined it
with tree killer and that (usually) works.

I fight a never ending battle with ivy. I clear one section of the
garden only to have to go back and clear a previously cleared section.
Sigh. I'll have to move to a smaller garden before I defeat it.

Old 21-09-2015, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

Just dig it up. If the roots are rather thick, chop them off with a
spade, hand axe or grub axe, about a foot or so away from the stump.

This may be difficult, as the ivy is less than a foot from a patio.
It is in a border to the patio about 2ft or less wide.

Old 21-09-2015, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

Just dig it up. If the roots are rather thick, chop them off with a
spade, hand axe or grub axe, about a foot or so away from the stump.

This may be difficult, as the ivy is less than a foot from a patio.
It is in a border to the patio about 2ft or less wide.

If you can drill into the stump then drill and inject Round-up diluted
1 in 4 for stump killing.
Old 21-09-2015, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

Just dig it up. If the roots are rather thick, chop them off with a
spade, hand axe or grub axe, about a foot or so away from the stump.

This may be difficult, as the ivy is less than a foot from a patio.
It is in a border to the patio about 2ft or less wide.

If you can drill into the stump then drill and inject Round-up diluted
1 in 4 for stump killing.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Old 21-09-2015, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

When I killed a very large ivy, the large leaved sort, I simply cut the
roots off below ground level as I had been told they haven't any dormant
buds below the ground so cannot regrow from the roots. Worked for me.

And me. I have dealt with a lot of ivy and find it gives up easily if you
leave nothing above ground.

Mike

Old 24-09-2015, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

wrote:

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

Just dig it up. If the roots are rather thick, chop them off with a
spade, hand axe or grub axe, about a foot or so away from the stump.

This may be difficult, as the ivy is less than a foot from a patio.
It is in a border to the patio about 2ft or less wide.

You can still dig it up; plenty of room there to ram down a spade or
whatever to cut the roots. Where there's a will...

I cut down and then dug out ivy roots from a bed of similar width next
to our patio, it hasn't returned. You don't need to get all the roots
out, just the main bit
--
Chris French

Old 25-09-2015, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My wife has cut down an excessively rampant ivy,
and left me to kill the stub and root.
What is the best way to do this?

Just dig it up. If the roots are rather thick, chop them off with a
spade, hand axe or grub axe, about a foot or so away from the stump.

This may be difficult, as the ivy is less than a foot from a patio.
It is in a border to the patio about 2ft or less wide.

You can still dig it up; plenty of room there to ram down a spade or
whatever to cut the roots. Where there's a will...

I cut down and then dug out ivy roots from a bed of similar width next
to our patio, it hasn't returned. You don't need to get all the roots
out, just the main bit

+1

---

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
killing off IVY Tangy Australia 12 05-11-2008 12:32 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Killing and removing Poison Ivy. Danny Gardening 6 14-05-2006 09:51 PM
Killing Ivy Pioden United Kingdom 4 09-06-2005 07:32 PM