Old 28-09-2015, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Pea seeds

In article ,
says...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote

I usually save some of my peas for seed but this year my brother ate all
the peas I grew. Don't ask..we've had words.
Anyway I got some supermarket peas and am drying them out to try and will
see how they go next year.
Plan B is using the pea seeds I still have from 2014.

Has anyone ever grown supermarket peas? I will give them a go if they dry
out OK, looking like they will.

I have to ask Why? Why not buy some seed peas from a seed merchant? That
way you get a named variety with known qualities, eg we grow Early Onward
because it does well for us.

I don't know why, I just fancy giving them a go. To see what happens. I
will of course sow my own peas too so it won't be a disaster. It's an
experiment and I just wondered if anyone had done it before.
In theory, they should do well.

Fresh peas are picked for eating well before they are mature and fully
grown. So after they've been picked young I'm not convinced they will
reach full maturity in the pod. This may affect both storage and
germination. But no harm trying.

Janet