Old 27-09-2015, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pea seeds

I usually save some of my peas for seed but this year my brother ate all
the peas I grew. Don't ask..we've had words.
Anyway I got some supermarket peas and am drying them out to try and will
see how they go next year.
Plan B is using the pea seeds I still have from 2014.

Has anyone ever grown supermarket peas? I will give them a go if they dry
out OK, looking like they will.

Tina

Old 27-09-2015, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

I usually save some of my peas for seed but this year my brother ate all
the peas I grew. Don't ask..we've had words.
Anyway I got some supermarket peas and am drying them out to try and will
see how they go next year.
Plan B is using the pea seeds I still have from 2014.

Has anyone ever grown supermarket peas? I will give them a go if they dry
out OK, looking like they will.

I have to ask Why? Why not buy some seed peas from a seed merchant? That way
you get a named variety with known qualities, eg we grow Early Onward
because it does well for us.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-09-2015, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 22:00:12 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I usually save some of my peas for seed but this year my brother ate all
the peas I grew. Don't ask..we've had words.
Anyway I got some supermarket peas and am drying them out to try and will
see how they go next year.
Plan B is using the pea seeds I still have from 2014.

Has anyone ever grown supermarket peas? I will give them a go if they dry
out OK, looking like they will.

Tina

Didn't you say he did that a few years ago, resulting in my comment
that he had mange tout.

--

Chris

Yep, I grow the peas here, he plants them out in the veggie plot. The
agreement is we share them. Not so, he eats them all before I get a chance
to pick a few for myself. However, I got all his raspberries. ;-) Not many
though.

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Old 28-09-2015, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote

I usually save some of my peas for seed but this year my brother ate all
the peas I grew. Don't ask..we've had words.
Anyway I got some supermarket peas and am drying them out to try and will
see how they go next year.
Plan B is using the pea seeds I still have from 2014.

Has anyone ever grown supermarket peas? I will give them a go if they dry
out OK, looking like they will.

I have to ask Why? Why not buy some seed peas from a seed merchant? That
way you get a named variety with known qualities, eg we grow Early Onward
because it does well for us.

I don't know why, I just fancy giving them a go. To see what happens. I
will of course sow my own peas too so it won't be a disaster. It's an
experiment and I just wondered if anyone had done it before.
In theory, they should do well.
(if my brother doesn't eat them before I can.)

Old 03-10-2015, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

Fresh peas are picked for eating well before they are mature and fully
grown. So after they've been picked young I'm not convinced they will
reach full maturity in the pod. This may affect both storage and
germination. But no harm trying.

Janet

I did choose the more mature pods. One has gone mouldy and has been
discarded but the other few pods look like they will dry out OK.
I don't usually do this sort of thing but when some of the pea pods looked
like they were a bit dry I thought "why not give them a go?"
If they fail, it's not a big deal. It's an experiment. If they do well, I
will save seed from them. If they don't, well, it was fun to try.

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Mushy Pea Seeds Davy[_2_] United Kingdom 7 22-04-2009 09:03 PM
Quick Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull Pea Seeds Dennis Parker Edible Gardening 2 11-07-2008 11:54 PM
When should I plant pea seeds Zone 5 Indiana.. thanks! Me Edible Gardening 3 07-03-2005 12:05 PM
Sowing sweet pea seeds now MCC United Kingdom 9 02-10-2003 08:02 PM