Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Orange split

On 10/7/2015 11:58 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
One of the oranges on my Dwarf Washington has split. Contents revealed about
2" wide.

I can't upload pic because something's wrong on computer.

Did this ever happen to NG member?

Is it safe to let it keep on maturing?

Alternative?

Normally (hah!) oranges ripen about January; maybe this year a little sooner?
Who knows - climate has gone beserk. This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

This is usually caused by uneven moisture in the soil. First, it is too
dry; then, it is too wet.

In the ground, you should allow the soil to dry to a depth of about 1-2
inches and then irrigate. When you irrigate, do not allow the soil to
become soggy. Citrus requires good drainage.

I have three dwarf citrus in large pots. See
http://www.rossde.com/garden/dwarf_citrus.html. In the pots, I used
my own home-made potting mix; see
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. With the
current drought, these get watered 15 minutes twice each week via a drip
system; previously, I watered them every third day for about 20-25
minutes.

I also have a dwarf tangelo in a raised bed framed with lose concrete
blocks. For this, I dug to a depth equal to the height of the blocks.
I stirred compost, wood chips, peat moss, coarse sand, and gypsum into
the native clay soil. Every other year, I apply more gypsum to maintain
good drainage.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see