Old 20-10-2015, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climber ID please

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 17:44:52 +0200, Lintama
wrote:

Hi all,

Please can somebody tell me what this climber is. Bought a house and
discovered this growing up to fantastic heights in trees and bushes.
Looks like some sort of clematis judging by the leaf. As it is October,
looks like it's the seed heads which are in the photos. Didn't know
clematis would grow this way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

|Filename: DSCF1175.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16361|
|Filename: DSCF1176.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16362|
|Filename: DSCF1178.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16363|

As Charlie says, a clematis, probably Clematis vitalba (aka Old man's
beard, or Travellers' joy. Can't think why it got the second name!).
--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

I think people used to smoke it, I cant imagine it does you a lot of good
but may be it gives you a buzz hence the name?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs