Old 24-10-2015, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Begonia southerlandii

"Chris Hogg" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Picked up a plant at Hughenden Manor NT garden, obviously supplied by the
gardeners and unlabelled, and as I suspected it is Begonia southerlandii.
So
far I haven't been able to find out much about this plant and it's growing
requirements so do any of you grow it or know of it?
I've also noticed that in the axis of the leave stalks little bulbils seem
to have grown, can this plant be propagated from those as with enough
plants
it would make the most superb hanging basket for a N facing wall.

Lots on Google for Begonia sutherlandii. Is your search engine being a
bit too specific, or are the results it gives not what you're looking
for?

How strange, my Google on Edge (Win 10) had a few hits but nothing useful,
I've just used Duckduckgo on Crome and got lots of stuff, although mainly US
based. Some suggestions it may be hardy here but I won't try that until
I've built up a supply and, yes, those little bulbils are the way to grow
new plants.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.