Old 24-10-2015, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Begonia southerlandii

Picked up a plant at Hughenden Manor NT garden, obviously supplied by the
gardeners and unlabelled, and as I suspected it is Begonia southerlandii. So
far I haven't been able to find out much about this plant and it's growing
requirements so do any of you grow it or know of it?
I've also noticed that in the axis of the leave stalks little bulbils seem
to have grown, can this plant be propagated from those as with enough plants
it would make the most superb hanging basket for a N facing wall.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 24-10-2015, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Picked up a plant at Hughenden Manor NT garden, obviously supplied by the
gardeners and unlabelled, and as I suspected it is Begonia southerlandii.
So
far I haven't been able to find out much about this plant and it's growing
requirements so do any of you grow it or know of it?
I've also noticed that in the axis of the leave stalks little bulbils seem
to have grown, can this plant be propagated from those as with enough
plants
it would make the most superb hanging basket for a N facing wall.

Lots on Google for Begonia sutherlandii. Is your search engine being a
bit too specific, or are the results it gives not what you're looking
for?

How strange, my Google on Edge (Win 10) had a few hits but nothing useful,
I've just used Duckduckgo on Crome and got lots of stuff, although mainly US
based. Some suggestions it may be hardy here but I won't try that until
I've built up a supply and, yes, those little bulbils are the way to grow
new plants.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-10-2015, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Picked up a plant at Hughenden Manor NT garden, obviously supplied by the
gardeners and unlabelled, and as I suspected it is Begonia southerlandii.
So far I haven't been able to find out much about this plant and it's
growing requirements so do any of you grow it or know of it?
I've also noticed that in the axis of the leave stalks little bulbils seem
to have grown, can this plant be propagated from those as with enough
plants it would make the most superb hanging basket for a N facing wall.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Obviously a bit late to be planting this outside but next spring if it goes
in the ground its a reliable spreader.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 26-10-2015, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Picked up a plant at Hughenden Manor NT garden, obviously supplied by the
gardeners and unlabelled, and as I suspected it is Begonia southerlandii.
So far I haven't been able to find out much about this plant and it's
growing requirements so do any of you grow it or know of it?
I've also noticed that in the axis of the leave stalks little bulbils
seem to have grown, can this plant be propagated from those as with
enough plants it would make the most superb hanging basket for a N facing
wall.

Obviously a bit late to be planting this outside but next spring if it goes
in the ground its a reliable spreader.

Thanks Charlie, I do have a spot that it might like in the garden so when
I've built up enough I'll give it a go. Very pretty little plant, jewel
like, in the same vein as Cyclamen hederafolium and coum. Do you have it
hanging down as it seems to like or just covering ground?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-10-2015, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

I found it a bit invasive so it has been removed! I now grow another
Begonia, B evansii, which is more upright (although I notice it too is
starting to spread)

Old 26-10-2015, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/10/15 09:58, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

B. evansii seems hardy with me. I've grown it for several years in a
large tub and it has never suffered from frost. Recently I've put the
pot at the edge of a patio about 40cm above a border, and I've started
finding small plants coming up in the border!

--

Jeff

who puts the 'b' in 'begonia"? 2017.05.20.09.37.00 - who puts the b in begonia 2017.05.20.09.37.00.jpg Opinicus[_3_] Garden Photos 1 21-05-2017 02:35 PM
who puts the 'b' in 'begonia"? 2017.05.20.09.36.37 - who puts the b in begonia 2017.05.20.09.36.37.jpg Opinicus[_3_] Garden Photos 0 20-05-2017 02:18 PM
Begonia Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 09-04-2009 06:32 AM
Begonia grandis - evensiana - Hardy Begonia HeatherScot United Kingdom 1 05-06-2005 10:49 PM
Begonia wilt? animaux Gardening 0 14-02-2003 02:15 PM