Old 25-10-2015, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Divingbrit Divingbrit is offline

Default What to do about overwintering cuttings

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 22:25:06 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 24/10/2015 19:40, Phil L wrote:

I've read various websites, including Divingbrit's website about fuschias,
but they only mention overwintering established plants, these are cuttings

While many do take cuttings earlier in the year, September cuttings
would be our time of choice so the cuttings should be well rooted, but
I have taking a couple of dozen this week, and they will be kept in
an unheated greenhouse.
The greenhouse is well insulated with bubble wrap/fleece/polystrene so
light levels inside are low, but adequate.
The cuttings are being kept in 'coffee jars' and if you don't know how
I use them, check out the website, it really does work, too little
/too much water kills more cutting than the cold.

The wisest fuchsia grower I know, also has no heat in his greenhouse
and takes his cuttings in September, and gives away his fully grown
plants once he is sure the cuttings have taken. His reasoning is its
easier to keep very small young plants alive through the winter, than
old ones. Young plants even the tender ones, will survive a frost,
cover with fleece (lain on top) will give a couple of degrees more
protection, add another layer, and you are protected even more.

Cuttings taken now will not grow very much if at all, but come spring
they will. Hence the coffee jars, I get 90% success rate, doing it
this way.

We have had a few mild winters, in a really harsh winter (ie: 2010)
losses were high, but I just take more cutting than I need just in
case.

Good luck

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info