Old 24-10-2015, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What to do about overwintering cuttings

I've read various websites, including Divingbrit's website about fuschias,
but they only mention overwintering established plants, these are cuttings
that I took about 5 weeks ago, most have established roots but about a dozen
of them don't as yet, and they don't appear to be doing too well.

I wouldn't bother about losing a few but all the ones that are struggling a
bit are from one variety that I'd rather have at least a couple of survivors
for next spring.

I've got an unheated greenhouse, which is where I've put all the adult
plants and the cuttings, but i can easily bring some / most / all in the
house if anyone advises it.
So what I'm asking is, will these cuttings survive in an unheated GH or
should I bring them indoors at least until they've rooted properly?

http://www.jwjonline.net/fuchsia_cuttings.php

This was the website that mentioned taking cuttings at this time of year but
it doesn't mention where to put them

Old 24-10-2015, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/10/2015 19:40, Phil L wrote:
[...]

Take a look at the link below, Phil. There's a lot about overwintering;
albeit it is about rooted cuttings and plants, but it expressly says
they shouldn't be brought into the house where it would be too warm.
Because some of yours have no roots, I would think this is doubly
important. Just keep them frost free and barely moist. Good luck.

http://www.fuchsiaflower.co.uk/overwintering.htm

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 25-10-2015, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 22:25:06 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 24/10/2015 19:40, Phil L wrote:

I've read various websites, including Divingbrit's website about fuschias,
but they only mention overwintering established plants, these are cuttings

While many do take cuttings earlier in the year, September cuttings
would be our time of choice so the cuttings should be well rooted, but
I have taking a couple of dozen this week, and they will be kept in
an unheated greenhouse.
The greenhouse is well insulated with bubble wrap/fleece/polystrene so
light levels inside are low, but adequate.
The cuttings are being kept in 'coffee jars' and if you don't know how
I use them, check out the website, it really does work, too little
/too much water kills more cutting than the cold.

The wisest fuchsia grower I know, also has no heat in his greenhouse
and takes his cuttings in September, and gives away his fully grown
plants once he is sure the cuttings have taken. His reasoning is its
easier to keep very small young plants alive through the winter, than
old ones. Young plants even the tender ones, will survive a frost,
cover with fleece (lain on top) will give a couple of degrees more
protection, add another layer, and you are protected even more.

Cuttings taken now will not grow very much if at all, but come spring
they will. Hence the coffee jars, I get 90% success rate, doing it
this way.

We have had a few mild winters, in a really harsh winter (ie: 2010)
losses were high, but I just take more cutting than I need just in
case.

Good luck

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 26-10-2015, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/10/2015 19:40, Phil L wrote:
I've read various websites, including Divingbrit's website about fuschias,
but they only mention overwintering established plants, these are cuttings
that I took about 5 weeks ago, most have established roots but about a dozen
of them don't as yet, and they don't appear to be doing too well.

I wouldn't bother about losing a few but all the ones that are struggling a
bit are from one variety that I'd rather have at least a couple of survivors
for next spring.

Keep a few indoors as insurance then.

I've got an unheated greenhouse, which is where I've put all the adult
plants and the cuttings, but i can easily bring some / most / all in the
house if anyone advises it.
So what I'm asking is, will these cuttings survive in an unheated GH or
should I bring them indoors at least until they've rooted properly?

http://www.jwjonline.net/fuchsia_cuttings.php

This was the website that mentioned taking cuttings at this time of year but
it doesn't mention where to put them

How about getting a kerosene heater for the coldest snaps?

You might get away with nothing at all in a mild winter. I have had
pelargoniums and antirrhinums survive outside for two consecutive years.
Keeping them on the dry side helps thicken the sap to make them a little
more cold hardy but they won't take a hard frost.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown