Old 26-10-2015, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default What to do about overwintering cuttings

On 24/10/2015 19:40, Phil L wrote:
I've read various websites, including Divingbrit's website about fuschias,
but they only mention overwintering established plants, these are cuttings
that I took about 5 weeks ago, most have established roots but about a dozen
of them don't as yet, and they don't appear to be doing too well.

I wouldn't bother about losing a few but all the ones that are struggling a
bit are from one variety that I'd rather have at least a couple of survivors
for next spring.

Keep a few indoors as insurance then.

I've got an unheated greenhouse, which is where I've put all the adult
plants and the cuttings, but i can easily bring some / most / all in the
house if anyone advises it.
So what I'm asking is, will these cuttings survive in an unheated GH or
should I bring them indoors at least until they've rooted properly?

http://www.jwjonline.net/fuchsia_cuttings.php

This was the website that mentioned taking cuttings at this time of year but
it doesn't mention where to put them

How about getting a kerosene heater for the coldest snaps?

You might get away with nothing at all in a mild winter. I have had
pelargoniums and antirrhinums survive outside for two consecutive years.
Keeping them on the dry side helps thicken the sap to make them a little
more cold hardy but they won't take a hard frost.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown