Old 07-11-2015, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter Cover?

On 11/6/2015 10:22 PM, T wrote:
On 11/06/2015 07:30 PM, Derald wrote:
T wrote:

How cold do your nights get?

Not very. Had a low of 25° (F) on Jan 23 this year; a little
frost, no ice. Mid 70's (10:15 PM) now. Not likely to need a fire
until much later this month or perhaps December. Typical "winter"
nights are mid 40's-high 30's. Mid 30's or colder occurs infrequently
and rarely on consecutive nights. The values shown at the weatherbase
site are close enough:
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...tes-of-America

Most years, we don't have enough contiguous chilly weather for Brussel's
sprouts, crisphead lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli to do well. Most
years, I don't even attempt sprouts or heading lettuce but frequently
have enough success with an "early" (short-season) broccoli and
cauliflower that I continue to plant them and just keep trying until
seeds germinate.

I think it is time for me to start plotting and scheming about
next years plant.

That's what winter is for for gardeners. That and perusing the seed
catalogs that will be coming in shortly. We're always trying something
new for our climate, might be some new stuff in the catalogs.

BEWARE!! gardening is almost as bad as drugs, once you're addicted it
seems all the seed companies find out and send you beautiful catalogs.
BSEG