Old 07-11-2015, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter Cover?

On 11/6/2015 10:22 PM, T wrote:
On 11/06/2015 07:30 PM, Derald wrote:
T wrote:

How cold do your nights get?

Not very. Had a low of 25° (F) on Jan 23 this year; a little
frost, no ice. Mid 70's (10:15 PM) now. Not likely to need a fire
until much later this month or perhaps December. Typical "winter"
nights are mid 40's-high 30's. Mid 30's or colder occurs infrequently
and rarely on consecutive nights. The values shown at the weatherbase
site are close enough:
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...tes-of-America

Most years, we don't have enough contiguous chilly weather for Brussel's
sprouts, crisphead lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli to do well. Most
years, I don't even attempt sprouts or heading lettuce but frequently
have enough success with an "early" (short-season) broccoli and
cauliflower that I continue to plant them and just keep trying until
seeds germinate.

I think it is time for me to start plotting and scheming about
next years plant.

That's what winter is for for gardeners. That and perusing the seed
catalogs that will be coming in shortly. We're always trying something
new for our climate, might be some new stuff in the catalogs.

BEWARE!! gardening is almost as bad as drugs, once you're addicted it
seems all the seed companies find out and send you beautiful catalogs.
BSEG
Old 07-11-2015, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/07/2015 06:14 AM, George Shirley wrote:
BEWARE!! gardening is almost as bad as drugs, once you're addicted it
seems all the seed companies find out and send you beautiful catalogs.
BSEG

Sort of like a hypochondriac reading over a vitamin web site?

I want Zucchini seeds that are powder mold resistant and squash
bug repellent and that taste good. Ya, I know, lots of luck!
Suppose I should hit the seed catalogs. uh oh!
Old 08-11-2015, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2015 3:22 PM, T wrote:
On 11/07/2015 06:14 AM, George Shirley wrote:
BEWARE!! gardening is almost as bad as drugs, once you're addicted it
seems all the seed companies find out and send you beautiful catalogs.
BSEG

Sort of like a hypochondriac reading over a vitamin web site?

I want Zucchini seeds that are powder mold resistant and squash
bug repellent and that taste good. Ya, I know, lots of luck!
Suppose I should hit the seed catalogs. uh oh!

Do a Google search for seed catalogs, lots of boutique companies out
there and lots of heirloom seeds available. I have lots of them bookmarked.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
George Shirley writes:

That's what winter is for for gardeners. That and perusing the seed
catalogs that will be coming in shortly. We're always trying something
new for our climate, might be some new stuff in the catalogs.

BEWARE!! gardening is almost as bad as drugs, once you're addicted it
seems all the seed companies find out and send you beautiful catalogs.

That is part of my mental survival strategy for Ohio winters,
especially the February part. My stance is that once the seed
catalogs arrive, winter is obviously finished.

When there are pictures of ripe tomatoes, frost must be running
away briskly.

And don't tell me I'm wrong, because I won't be listening.
If it doesn't work form my wife, it won't work for you.

A couple more not-so-standard companies found me this year, and
they will be straining my seed starting capacity next year, I think.

BSEG

Beautifully seeded early garden, I will insist on [naively] reading.

--
Drew Lawson | I told them we had learned to change